January 30, 2012 10:24:37
Posted By Michelle Birbeck
I would say that it has been an easy ride from start to finish, but that might not quite be the truth. It has, however, been a wonderful one.
Writing the script perhaps took the longest. There is a lot that happens in The Last Keeper, and deciding which bits to include, and which bits I could feasibly capture, took a lot of thought. There have been several versions of the script, right up until the last second changes as the trailer came together.
Props were easy enough to find. Fabric for the backdrops was given to me by my mother. Skulls and fake blood was available in abundance close to Halloween. Even the wig used for Serenity easy to find at a reasonable price.
Models were slightly harder. Where possible I wanted people who looked about right for the characters they were playing. Partly because of the cost involved in using wigs and other such items. In the end my wonderful friend Cait found some of her student friends who were willing to come play dress up for the day.
Taking the pictures was perhaps the most enjoyable part of the whole experience. Planning out where to go and what backgrounds to use, getting dressed up, and ordering everyone into their various poses. Not all of the pictures turned out quite as I’d hoped, but the ones I used I am very happy with. And, of course, now that I’ve had one go, I know a bit more about what I’m doing!
Putting the whole thing together took more time than I anticipated. It was a complicated affair getting the length of each clip just right, figuring out which effect to use on each one, and then picking music that reflected both the story and the clips. I lost count of how many different pieces of software I used during the whole process!
The end result is now up for everyone to see, and I am very happy with how everything turned out. Despite all the faffing and fiddly bits, it was a wonderful experience, and one I plan on repeating for book 2 in The Keepers’ Chronicles.
You can see the full trailer here.